Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Chrome: Setup for cloud tools and multiple web accounts

 I make no claim that this is the base way to achieve this, but it helped me organise and allowed me to use chrome accross the board.

 My Issue: I look after multiple accounts within AWs, Google and Azure/Office365... When using these cloudtools, if you have multiple user accounts within these environments it can become a pain to ensure you are logged in as the correct user, or in some cases it will jump between accounts...

I was looking for a way to allow me to have difference chrome instances, that were meant for different user accounts..

Enter --user-data-dir

(caveat here, is I know that there are profiles within chrome, but I not entirely sure these are fully isolated from one another.. Using --user-data-dir, I believe gets me around these issues.)

So --user-data-dir, allows you to point chrome at a completely isolated set of user folders.. You use it by running chrome as follows.. And the good thing is, the first time you run it, it will create the folder for you.. I created a folder to contain all of my different user-data folders C:\ChromeUserDataFolders, then when I run the command I put the account name\email that I will be using that folder instance for.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --user-data-dir="C:\ChromeUserDataFolders\mygoogleaccount@gmail.com"

I also like to run my web tools as apps within chrome, and once the above is setup you can start installing the URLs as apps (or shortcuts as chrome calls them). You can then run these using the shortcuts created,

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --user-data-dir=":\ChromeUserDataFolders\mygoogleaccount@gmail.com" --app-id=plfjfmlifxvdfgerglcklncmcfice

So here is a screen shot of me writing this blog post, in my chrome running as an shortcut (hence missing menus etc at the top), but running from a dedicated folder for this specific google user account.
   Google Blogger - as chrome shortcut (app)

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment